Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Boys to Men

Big Charlie and his catch. Yes-- it was thrown back.

     I'm so thankful for the men God has provided as examples for my sons. Yes-- my sons are, first and foremost, my responsibility. Not someone else's. And I understand that I must do everything I can to raise them to be the Men of God they should grow up to be. Men of Character and Integrity. Men of Faith and Compassion. Men of Wisdom and Courage. Men who take care of and who are faithful to their Wives and Families. Men of Initiative and Competence. In other words, real Men. 
     But it is also a wonderful blessing and privilege to have the right kind of pressure and influence that is exerted upon a young man's life from older men, outside of dad and older siblings. In the case of my boys ( six of them), they have two tremendous uncles-- one of which is a great surfer and the other an outstanding coach and former football player. Yet more importantly, both are pastors who have pioneered their own churches. Then there's my pastor who my kids think is the best preacher because he makes them all laugh and gives them dollar bills. His oldest son, a great friend of mine, is also a pastor in Salt Lake City and recently preached at our church. For years Charlie has called him his best friend and it didn't hurt that he slipped Charlie twenty bucks before service either. These men are great role models and inspire my boys to grow up to be men of God. Closer to home, there are also the men in my church whose lives depict the power of God working daily. They see the changes taking place in them, allowing God to mold them into His instruments. Kids aren't stupid. They know when it's for real, when a man's life has truly been transformed. Some of these men are current and former military, construction workers, and ex-gang members. Just last week, two of them took Parker, Ethan and Charlie ocean fishing. Do I want my kids hanging out with their directionless peers on the street corner? Do I want my sons learning things they shouldn't be learning from kids who have been over exposed to the filth of the world? Or am I so thankful for the men who will show them that Jesus is better than all of it-- reinforcing what dad and mom have been telling them?

No comments:

Post a Comment