Saturday, August 3, 2013

Judge Me Not

Cutting through the Moral Fog

 What do you call someone who refuses to tell the truth? Answer: A liar. Am I being judgmental by saying that or labeling that person as such? No. I am merely stating a simple fact. This
is the word that describes a person exhibiting such behavior. So if I call someone who has cheated on their spouse an 'adulterer
', then I am not judging them, I am only giving the proper description. 
What I find especially ironic is when people of faith declare that something is sinful behavior, not according to their own personal opinion, but due to the fact that the Bible says so, only to be set upon by other Christians as being judgmental. They are accosted with sentiments resembling "who are you to judge?" and "judge not lest you be judged" and the like. My first thought is, "Well, if that's how you feel about it, then who are you to judge me?" Because the truth behind what you're saying is that you have reached a judgment about something that I've said or done which you believe to have crossed some subjective boundary. That is, in your estimation, you have judged that I have said something unfair, too harsh, incompassionate, or outside my bounds of jurisdiction. Somehow-- I am not allowed to make certain statements which exceed my range of moral ability to discern, yet you are capable of telling me just when and where I've crossed the line due to your completely unbiased, moral superiority. Typically those who cry the loudest not to judge are usually the most judgmental. For example-- they very often utterly abhor and disdain people of faith who have the audacity to say that some type of behavior is wrong. The terms that the non-judgmental types use to describe the 'judgmental' Christian are almost always these: narrow-minded, anti-intellectual, bigoted, and nazi.
Anyway-- for now, the church is to judge sin in the church. Without apology and without compromise. Look at the very direct and crystal clear words of the Apostle Paul:

I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people—  not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world.  But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.
   What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? 
Are you not to judge those inside?           
  God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.”

-- 1Corinthians 5:9-12

Unfortunately too many 'Christians' these days would be upset if you actually kicked someone out of the church or refused to associate with them due to their sinfulness. And instead of siding with the folks who want to take a righteous stance in the church, the so-called Christians would side with the violator and probably demand that such 'haters' and 'judgmental' people be removed instead. What a wake-up call they would have if they were to walk into the early church. The church must judge sin within it's ranks.
This is what I mean when I say that too many Christians have no idea about what the Word of God actually says as it pertains to the governance of the affairs of this world.

2 comments:

  1. I agree . Thank you for this truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this truth. Very insightful. It is something particularly difficult right now when so many, even Christians, are calling those who believe in traditional marriage bigots.

    ReplyDelete